Saturday, February 16, 2008

Grand Rounds

Here's a link to my last Grand Rounds talk on Feb 13.
"Vision like the bee's knees - hyperacuities and new clinical applications"

I admit I wrote it in a bit of a rush and it is nowhere near as good as what you will see & hear from Nigel Rawlings and me at the forthcoming Form & Function symposium (Sept 26-27, 2008, Halifax). Because Bal and Alan had to be at an important CFI meeting for our new iCentre, I had to cut some of the more topical jokes. Next time... Meanwhile I spent 2 fruitless & frustrating hours trying to edit the video on Windows. Unsuccessful: the real lecture starts at 2:30 min, and the sound is about a minute behind the video, and my posterior looks far larger than it should. Make yourself a cup of tea; I'm off to the Mac store to buy a computer & the Gingerbread house to eat some good German humble pie.

If you're as excited about hyperacuities as I am, you might like to read a bit more, for example the excellent 2-pager by Edelman and Weiss, and the material on Michael Bach's site. By far the best write-up is by Westheimer (who's #4 on my hug list) in Adler's Physiology of the Eye (which is a must-have book for all iPeople). Westheimers papers are required reading for my course, in due course.

Because it fits in, here is a print-out from a Grand Rounds talk I did in '04 on measuring vision with letter charts. Required reading for residents.

No comments: