Saturday, February 16, 2008

Optics from England

I have been a member of Vision Aid Overseas since 1997 when I went on a trip to Swaziland with them. Tym Marsh of VAO of Sussex, England has kindly offered to send us a huge box of unneeded spectacles for use in teaching (thank you, Tym!) & our Department will make a donation. We all know that spectacles are a weak point in our Department (with the exception of Drs De Becker, Valenzuela and myself, staff wear some pretty horrible stuff). I'm hoping to negotiate a deal with Gaudet Optical, but if I see anyone stealing from the VAO box for personal use there will be tears.

More good news from the dark land of Blair: Prof. David Henson, who Dr Chauhan and I did our PhDs with, agreed to let us digitise his superb book on ophthalmic instruments (it has been out of print for some time, and sadly no new printing appears to be planned). So, talk to me if you want a pin-up of a slitlamp over your bed. (Many thanks for the legwork go to Hadil Eshtayah, who did the photocopying according to my exacting standards). I also hope to get David over in Sept 2009 as a Visiting Prof in our optics programme. Finally, Jamie Kraft (who, together with Prof Neil Charman, taught the best optics course I have ever known) at Manchester University, gave me a lot of ideas on what could be done. If you are interested in helping to build a real big model eye, with a squishy cornea and a real but inverted image at the back of a fish tank, talk to me!

1 comment:

Paul Artes said...

Ale, I need a more up-to-date picture of you. This one is the only one coming up in Google's image search, and it does not do you justice.